Getting food delivered at your home is not only the matter of convenience for customers but a great way to earn part time income as well. And due to the current crisis, it’s even more popular than ever before.
One of the most popular job among international students in Australia is doing Uber Eats. So in this article, we are going to give you a comprehensive guide to working as a Uber Eats driver in Australia
Let’s get straight into the details:
What's in this guide ?
- Requirements for working as an Uber Eats driver in Australia
- How to signup for Uber Eats?
- Modes of Transport
- For Car and Motorbike
- For Bicycle or Bike
- How much it costs to get started with Uber Eats?
- Best time to do the Uber Eats
- How does the Uber Eats app works?
- How much money you can earn while working as a Uber Eats driver?
- Advantage of working as a uber eats driver
- Disadvantages of working as a uber eats driver
- Should you actually do Uber Eats or not?
- Important things for working in Australia
Requirements for working as an Uber Eats driver in Australia
- Working rights – First thing you need is working rights in Australia and luckily in your case you are on a student visa so that is all good.
- Own vehicle – Have your own vehicle or mode transport (like car, scooter or bicycle)
- Valid License – If you are going to do Uber Eats on a car or a bike, then you need to have a valid license. Overseas license is acceptable in certain cities at the moment.
- Age – You must be at least 18 years of age
- ABN – When working with Uber, you are considered to be running your own business, so you will need Australian Business Number for that. Check this video on how to apply for an ABN for Free.
- Medicare or Insurance: You will be required to confirm that you have a Medicare or other insurance like OSHC
- Police Check – You must go through with National Police Check as well
- Smartphone & internet access – You will obviously need a smartphone as well where you will have your delivery app with the internet access
- Insulated Bag – Make sure that you need to have an insulated bag for your delivery you can buy this insulated bag yourself or you can order from Uber’s office as well.
- Portable charger – Especially when you’re going to be travelling around and you’ll be using your phone a lot, then having a portable phone charger is a must.
- Uber driver app – You must install this app in your phone before start working for Uber Eats.
- Helmet and Bicycle lights – If you are going to do the deliveries on bike, then you must buy a helmet. It is a requirement in Australia when you’re riding a bicycle on the road and lights for your bicycle
How to signup for Uber Eats?
When you’re about to start any job you will need to do some paperwork and final processes and Uber Eats is no different.
Usually you’ll need to complete a very simple form that you can complete online. In this form they will ask you some personal details like:
- Email ID
- Phone number
- and other personal details
Also they will ask you about which method of transport would you use for delivering food using Uber Eats.
You also have to agree with the terms and conditions of Uber Eats.
You will be required to provide some sort of identification documents like
- Driving license
- Student ID or
- some other form of ID
Usually, it will take around 2 to 3 days to get the whole process set up and then you will need to download the Uber Eats driver app.
That’s it! You are all set to go.
So the signup process is very straightforward.
Modes of Transport
When it comes to delivering food with Uber Eats, you can use 3 different types of transport. You can basically use:
- Bike or bicycle
Regardless of which whichever type of transport you choose you will need to be 18 years or above.
For Car and Motorbike
For car or motorbike, you must have a full Australian license or if you are a temporary visitor like international student, then you can definitely use your overseas license. But, the overseas license must be a full license (not learners or others) and it’s only applicable in few cities from December 2019.
Your motorbike or your car should be registered and must have a third-party insurances and it should be newer than 1990s
For Bicycle or Bike
You don’t really need to provide any license documents for doing Uber Eats using a bike and that is why bikes are one of the most popular method for international students.
Obviously, it’s much cheaper and easier to buy a bike than a motorbike or a car so many international students do prefer to use push bike or bicycles to do deliveries for Uber Eats
You can buy a bike for cheap from places like Kmart or you can get a used one from Gumtree as well. If you don’t have a money to buy a bike outright then you can also rent it out from someone else.
Sometimes, universities do have free bicycles for renting, so ask your university or institution if they have some free bikes available as well.
Alternatively, you can also buy or rent an electrical bike as well which many students actually prefer to use. If you can’t afford to buy an electrical bike then you can obviously rent it out from some rental provider. It can cost you around $80 to $100 per week for renting electrical bikes.
How much it costs to get started with Uber Eats?
Now, the costs of getting started to work with Uber Eats will depends on few factors. But to give you an idea, here are some costs that you need to be mindful of when starting with Uber Eats.
🚗 Vehicle – $100 – $150 (bicycle) $1000 – $3000 (scooter) $5000 or more (car) (approx.)
📃 ABN application – $0 (if you DIY) or $80 (through an accountant) (approx.)
👮 Police Check – $50 (approx.)
🎒 Insulated Bag – $60 (approx.)
📱 Smartphone – $300 or more (approx.)
📶 Phone Plan – $50 per month (approx.)
⛑ Accessories – $50 (approx.)
Best time to do the Uber Eats
As an international student in Australia, you have limited hours to work (40 hours per fortnight). So you have to make the most out of it by working on the busiest time of the day.
The busiest times for Uber Eats are:
- Morning – Breakfast time – 7:30 am to 9:30 am
- Afternoon – Lunch time – 11:00 am to 2:00 pm.
- Evenings – Dinner time – 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
You can work till late on Fridays and Saturday nights as well because there are plenty of deliveries in the late nights, especially in a larger cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, etc..
How does the Uber Eats app works?
Ideally, you will be going to the City Centre or the place where there are plenty of restaurants around. You will need to stand around these restaurants areas.
There are 4 simple steps you need to follow in order to do the delivery:
- Accept the delivery – You will get a notification of the order and as soon as you get the notification you accept the order.
- Pick up the order – Then you go to the restaurant and introduce yourself and pick up the order from there.
- Check the order number – Before putting the order in your bag, make sure to check the order number matches the one on the app.
- Deliver the order – Then you ride and deliver the food to the customer. After delivering the food, confirm that delivery was successful (usually you have to take a photo) and you are ready to accept the next order.
After delivering the food, you will come back to a place where you were standing earlier or other nearby restaurant area, so you can get your next delivery.
You can try and test app as a driver here.
Please note that Uber Eats does Random Identity Verification where you will be asked to take a picture of yourself to verify your identity. So, it is critical that you don’t use your friends account or share your account details will others. You will risk of getting your account cancelled and you will never be able to work again with Uber.
How much money you can earn while working as a Uber Eats driver?
Uber Eats pay you based on three main factors
- Flat fee when you pick up the order from the restaurant
- When you’re actually going to deliver the food to the customer
- Distance you travel (the further you go, the more money you will make)
As per our research, on an average per delivery, you can make anywhere from $6 to $12 dollars and it will take around 15 minutes to 30 minutes to complete one delivery
If you do around 5 to 6 hours in a day, you can make around $100 to $120 per day and on weekly basis, you can earn around $400 to $500 doing Uber Eats.
This amount is just a guide only as your earnings may vary:
- depending upon the city you are in
- time of the day you are delivering
- how many deliveries you are doing
- number of other riders around the area
You can also make extra money by delivering food in “surge zones” that appear on the app during busy/peak times.
You usually get paid weekly by Uber Eats in your linked deposit bank account.
Advantage of working as a uber eats driver
- Becoming your own boss: Many students choose to do Uber Eats because it’s like you become your own boss as no one is on your back to check how much work you have completed in a day.
- Flexibility: There’s a lot of flexibility in the hours as you can choose your own work hours. If you feel like taking a day off you can do that. Also, you can choose your time based on class schedules.
- Keep Fit: If you are using a bike or push-bike, then it’s a great way to keep fit. You can keep fit and earn money at the same time. Not many jobs allow that to happen.
- Get to know the city: When you are riding from one part to the other in the city, you get to know the city really well. You will get to explore some places that you will never thought of going otherwise.
- Finding the best restaurants: Obviously, you are delivering food, so you get to find some of the best restaurants in your city. Fancy taking someone for a date? You know which restaurant to go.
Disadvantages of working as a uber eats driver
- Spending money on food: Because you get to know all these restaurants, you spend all the money that you are earning basically buying food from these restaurants.
- Tiring work: If you’re doing Uber Eats on the bike it can be really tiring and exhausting. Sometimes you have to go uphill, downhill and it can be really tiring to do this job.
- Repair costs: If there is a breakdown of your bike of your car or motorbike, you will definitely need to get it fixed and you don’t get paid for that lost time.
Should you actually do Uber Eats or not?
It will solely depend upon what your needs are. As an international student, you have plenty of bills to pay bills, so you have to survive doing you know some part-time work.
Uber Eats is definitely one of the way of earning money especially if you can’t find any other job at the start of your career in Australia as an international student.
So our recommendation is if you really want to make some part-time money then Uber Eats could be the way to go for you.
But don’t forget that you are in Australia for your studies and career. So focus on that more as you are responsible for managing you career.
Important things for working in Australia
- Make sure that you abide by your student visa conditions
- You can only work 40 hours per fortnight when your study is in session
- You can work unlimited hours in your official school holiday period
- Everything is recorded on the Uber Eats app so it’s quite easy for ATO, immigration and other authorities to track down your work hours
- Be mindful of your tax obligations as an Uber Eats Delivery partner