How does getting the whole tuition, living expenses and even getting money to study in Australia sounds? Great right.
Well, Australia Award scholarship can make this dream come true.
In this article, we are covering everything you need to know about the Australia Awards Scholarship.
What's in this guide ?
What is an Australia Awards Scholarship?
Australia Awards is an Australian Government’s prestigious scholarship offered to students from over 55 developing nations to study in Australia.
This scholarship covers not only tuition fees but airfares, living costs, OSHC and provides students stipends also.
In 2021, Australian government awarded 818 scholarships worth $225 million to students from 20 developing nations.
The purpose of this scholarship is to help the Australia’s partner countries development and to promote growth and stability in the region.
Opening Date and Closing Date
The application for Australia Awards Scholarships usually opens around from Feb till April every year. The actual dates can vary based each year.
Applications for the year 2022 is open between 1st Feb 2021 to 30 April 2021. If you are planning to get this scholarship, then you must apply between this timeframe.
If you are awarded with Australia Awards scholarship, you can be receive the following benefits:
- Full Tuition Fee
- Return airfare expenses
- Establishment expenses
- Health Cover (Overseas Students Health Cover)
- Introductory Academic Program
- Living expenses contribution
- Additional academic support
- Pre-course English fees
- Fieldwork costs (for research students)
Documents Required to Apply
You will be required to submit most of these documents when applying for an Australia Award scholarship:
- Birth Certificate
- CV or Resume
- Reference letters
- Academic transcripts
- Copy of certificates
- IELTS results (if available)
- Plan to return home
Additional documents might be required by the Australian government in order to assess your application. The documents required can also vary for the each eligible country.
The selection process for Australia Award scholarship is very competitive. Only eligible and short listed contacted for this scholarships.
You will need to go through an interview as well if you get shortlisted.
The selection criteria is based on the three main aspects:
- Your academic competence
- Potential outcome for your home country after your studies
- Professional and personal leadership skill attributes including relevant work experience.
How to Apply
You will need to apply for this scholarship via OASIS portal (Online Australia Scholarships Information System).
First, you will need to register online in this portal.
After registration, you will be issued a unique registration number, username and password in your email. It can take few minutes for this email to arrive.
Once you login after changing your temporary password, there will be few questions to ascertain your eligibility for this scholarship.
Then you need to start a new application for this scholarship and complete the details for all the parts of the application.
The sections of the application you will need to complete include:
- Personal Details
- Contact Details
- Spouse Details (if applicable)
- Children Details (if applicable)
- Emergency Contact Details
- Previous Scholrships
- Proposed Study Program
- English Language Details
- Computer Literacy Details
- Computer Training Details
- Current Employment
- Previous Employment
- Supporting Statement
- Professional Memberships
- Documentary Evidence
You will be required to submit all the supporting documents for your application via OASIS portal.
Tips for the application
Here are some tips that might help you in preparing your application:
- As the selection process is very competitive, Ideally you should be spending time and efforts for preparing your application.
- Explain your motivation to study in Australia and your course selection
- Highlight your English language skills
- Provide any relevant information for work experience
- Show any leadership qualities
- Challenges faced by your home country and how the study can help you make an impact in your professional area in your home country
Participating countries for this scholarship
Please note that each year Australian government decides to choose various developing countries for this scholarship. The list of the country can vary each year.
If your home country is not in the list this year, please check back next year for that.
For the year 2022, students from these countries are eligible to apply for this scholarship:
- Sri Lanka
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Marshall Islands
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
If you wish to apply and receive this scholarships, then you need to meet these important conditons
- You will need to sign a contract with Commonwealth of Australia that you will meet the conditions of the scholarship
- You will be required to leave Australia for a minimum of 2 years after completing this scholarship.
If you fail to meet these conditions, then you will need to pay back the total cost of the scholarship back to Australian government.
In order to get the complete picture of the scholarship, please check this policy handbook for the Australia Awards Scholarship here.
Want to prepare a good application for your scholarship?
Check all the 6 steps to make your application stand out by clicking here.