Got invited for a Barbecue? Here are some barbecue (BBQ) etiquette that might help you when you are going to an Aussie BBQ:
1. Bring along something either for drink or to eat. It is usually a good idea to ask the host if they would prefer you to bring along something specific. Sometimes, hosts may say that you don’t need anything to bring, in that case you can still bring things like Chocolates, Dessert, Salad, Bottle of Wine, Special dish from your home country, Cheese platter etc or may be a little gift for the host.
2. Don’t wear too formal clothes like coats, ties and It is perfectly fine to wear shorts and thongs as it a relaxed social event. Leave all your formals at home.
3. Don’t tell the host how to cook or BBQ as they might take an offence for that unless they ask for your help themselves in that. Also, it is a good idea to compliment and thank the BBQ chef like you would do at any other such occasion.
4. As much we recommend not to touch BBQ but we do recommend to volunteer to help with the things. Ask your hosts if they need a hand in something. It is always a good idea to offer help then not and usually appreciated by everyone.
5. You can bring along some fun activity ideas and things like games or cards etc. Although, most likely you will learn about the backyard cricket as part of the Aussie BBQ tradition.
6. Also, it is usually recommended to clean after yourself. Don’t leave your dirty cutlery, cups and plates hanging around here and there.
7. It is also a good etiquette to leave the unfinished food or drink with the host as gesture of thanks to the hosts even the one you brought as well. Don’t forget to bring back your utensils though.
8. Last but not least, socialise and talk with others as BBQ’s are social events and a great way to network with other people as well. As an international student, it is vital to network with others and barbecue is one of the place to do so.
Images via Giphy.com
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!