Australia is a country full of surprises. You can be amazed at the people, landscape, animals and everything around you. We have researched some amazing things that might get you surprised about Australia. Let’s check them out.
- Kangaroo and Emu are on Coat of Arms as both animals can only move forward not backwards which is why they were chosen
- Australians love eating Kangaroo meat
- Australia is one of the most multicultural society in the world
- More than 85% of the Australian population live near the coast
- Australia’s first police force was made up of well behaved criminals
- Australia is almost similar in size to the United States
- Canberra, Australia’s capital city, was created as people couldn’t decide whether Melbourne or Sydney is a capital.
- Australia has nearly 3 times more sheeps than people in the country
- Australian Alps get more snow than Switzerland
- Tasmania has the cleanest air in the world
- Australia has one of lowest density of population in the world. In Fact, there are only 3 people per square kilometer.
- The official name of Australia is Commonwealth of Australia
- Australian population is just 25 million people but there are 60 million kangaroos in the country
- Mount Augustus in Western Australia is the largest rock on earth rising 715m from the ground level. Although most of the people believe that Uluru is the largest rock in the world but it’s not.
- Great barrier reef is world’s largest reef system and it is made up of 2900 different reefs and spreads over 2300 kilometres
- You can find over 1,500 species of spiders in Australia and some of them has very dangerous venom
- Melbourne has been named as the most liveable city for seven years in row since 2011
- Melbourne used to be known as Batmania before it was named as Melbourne
- Former Australian Prime Minister, Bob Hawke, set the world record of drinking 2.5 pints of beers in 11 seconds.
- Ugg boots were originated in Australia and named after the inventor’s wife said they look “Ugg-ly”
- Australia has the longest railway track measuring 480 kilometres, longest road measuring 146 kilometres, longest golf course measuring 1.3 million metres and the longest fence covering 5400 kilometres
- World’s happiest animal is Quokka’s found in Western Australia
- Australians love playing Poker and is home to 20% of the world’s Pokie machines
- Australians have proudly invented Wi-Fi, blackbox, notepad and even selfies
- According to the research by University of Sydney, there are 10,685 beaches in Australia
- Boomerangs were invented by Aboriginals for hunting animals
- 95% of world’s Opals (gemstone) comes from Australia
- Australia is ranked 55th in the world for the Internet speed with an average speed of 25.88 Megabits per second (Mbps)
- Dutch explorers were the first one to discover Australia in 1600’s. But it was British, Captain James Cook who claimed the island for Britain in 1788
- Foster’s Beer brand is not the Australian choice of Beer as Australians prefer other brands
- Australia is home to world’s second largest Greek population after Greece
- Australia has the highest number of natural world heritage sites
- Australia was the second country in the world to give a voting rights to women after New Zealand
- Fraser island is the largest sand island in the world
- Australia has it’s very own pink lake known as Lake Hillier in Western Australia
- The largest number of camels in the world are not in the middle east but in Australia. It is estimated to be home to 300,000 Feral camels.
- Jellyfish is the biggest threat to human life as it kills more people than sharks, stonefish and crocodiles combined
- “Burger King” is known as “Hungry Jack’s” in Australia
- In Victoria, there is a mountain named as Mount Disappointment after the explorers found the view very average from the top
- In 1975, Australia had a government shutdown and Queen intervened and she fired everyone from the parliament, Australia never has any government shutdown after that
- If you are Australian citizen, then you must come to vote, otherwise you will get a fine for a no show
How many of these things did you knew about it already? Let us know in the comments below.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!