As many international students are facing difficulty in surviving this hard time during COVID-19, many private and local government organisations including universities and TAFEs have come together to their rescue.
So in this article, we are going to provide a list of support packages available for the international students studying in Australia. We will keep updating this list as soon as we get to know any support packages available for the international students.
So far more than $110 million has been committed by Australian universities for helping and supporting students during this crisis.
What's in this guide ?
- University Support Packages
- 🎓 Monash University
- 🎓 La Trobe University
- 🎓 Swinburne University
- 🎓 RMIT University
- 🎓 Victoria University
- 🎓 Deakin University
- 🎓 University of Melbourne
- 🎓 Federation University
- 🎓 University of Tasmania
- South Australia
- 🎓 University of Adelaide
- 🎓 University of South Australia
- 🎓 Flinders University
- Western Australia
- 🎓 Curtin University
- 🎓 Edith Cowan University
- 🎓 Murdoch University
- 🎓 University of Notre Dame Australia
- 🎓 University of Western Australia
- New South Wales
- 🎓 Charles Sturt University
- 🎓 Macquarie University
- 🎓 University of New South Wales
- 🎓 University of Newcastle
- 🎓 The University of Sydney
- 🎓 University of Wollongong
- 🎓 Bond University
- 🎓 Griffith University
- 🎓 Queensland University of Technology
- 🎓 University of Southern Queensland
- Other Government Support Packages
- Other Support Packages
University Support Packages
🎓 Monash University
Monash University has announced a $15 million Student Compassionate and Hardship Package for students suffering financial hardship due to COVID-19.
In this package, eligible students can apply for up to $7500 in grants. You can find more details about the package here: https://www.monash.edu/news/coronavirus-updates
🎓 La Trobe University
La Trobe University has launched a $550,000 COVID-19 Financial Assistance Program for the onshore students who are struggling during this crisis.
All students studying on-shore at La Trobe University can apply for these payments:
- Crisis Support Bursary one-off payment of $3,000 to support students suffering from significant financial crisis or housing insecurity.
- Technology Bursary designed to help you get essential equipment to enable you to continue your studies
For more information head to this page: https://www.latrobe.edu.au/students/admin/fees-and-money/assistance/covid-19-assistance-program
🎓 Swinburne University
Swinburne University has set up a Swinburne Student Emergency Funds where students can get a one-off payments of up to $1000 if they are impacted by this health pandemic. For eligibility and application you can check this: http://swinburne.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1651
🎓 RMIT University
RMIT’s has set up a Student Hardship Assistance and Equity Scholarship funds to support in total up to $10 million for students impacted by COVID-19.
Students can apply for two types of grants:
1. Emergency Financial Grant
For students who are impacted by job loss, housing insecurity or other financial matters associated with COVID-19.
2. Technology Grant
For students who need access to essential IT equipment to continue studying remotely, including hardware, software, subscriptions, data, internet and digital materials for up to $1,000.
🎓 Victoria University
Victoria Universities COVID-19 Student Support Fund has been set up to provide students with three options for one-off grants:
- Emergency financial grant for students impacted by self-isolation/quarantine requirements or job losses up to the value of $100.
- Technology grant to support students in pursuing studies that have transitioned to digital platforms up to the value of $100.
- Crisis housing support for rental assistance grants up to the value of $500.
🎓 Deakin University
Deakin University has developed a support response to the COVID-19 for the students struggling in this time frame by committing $25 million. Deakin Financial Assistance has been set up to provide both financial and non-financial support.
You can find more details about the program after signing from this link: https://www.deakin.edu.au/students/enrolment-fees-and-money/financial-assistance/covid-19-financial-assistance
🎓 University of Melbourne
University of Melbourne has launched two support programs for the students impacted by COVID-19. These support programs are known as COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund and COVID-19 Student Support Fund.
The maximum benefit of these support programs are limited to the amount $7,500. For more information visit https://students.unimelb.edu.au/student-support/coronavirus/financial-support
🎓 Federation University
Federation University has developed a Coronavirus Special Assistance Scheme for the students covering:
- Weekly assistance of up to $300 each (for up to five weeks)
- Funding for computer and/or technology assistance for students who are unable to study remotely
- FedLiving accommodation assistance
- Student Tuition Fee due-date extensions
For further information, check : https://federation.edu.au/current-students/starting-at-federation/scholarships/coronavirus-specialist-assistance-scheme
🎓 University of Tasmania
University of Tasmania have launched a support program for students including international students. Students studying in university will be able to apply for two types of support programs:
- Fast Track Safety Net Grant Scheme where students can get a grants of up to $350 for support with living costs and study resources.
- Safety Net Grant Scheme where students can get a grant of up to $2,000
More information can be found here: https://www.utas.edu.au/alerts/coronavirus-update/students
🎓 University of Adelaide
University of Adelaide has launched a Students Support Package which cover three main aspects:
- Academic Support
- Wellbeing Plan
- Emergency Financial Support
Students can access the financial support for IT Support for remote learning, accommodation for students in crisis and food for students in crisis. Students can also access hardship grants as well.
Check more details here: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/covid-19/student-information/student-support-package
🎓 University of South Australia
University of South Australia has created the $10m Student Hardship Fund (COVID-19), which is open to all students (including international students) currently enrolled for onshore study at UniSA.
Check the details here: https://i.unisa.edu.au/students/scholarships/hardship-fund/
🎓 Flinders University
Flinders COVID-19 Student Support Package has been developed for the support of struggling students due to COVID-19. University has committed up to $12.5 million for this package.
The package includes:
- $1 million in emergency support payments, of up to $500, made available to students through FUSA;
- A new Matthew Flinders Scholarship program, with scholarships valued up to $2,000, to support the continuation of the studies; and
- The waiver of the Student Services and Amenities Fee for all students
🎓 Curtin University
Curtin has launched Financial and Housing Support Bursary – COVID-19 to assist students who are in financial hardship as a consequence of COVID-19.
The university has not provided specific details on the bursary but it will made available to the students need. More details are: https://scholarships.curtin.edu.au/Scholarship/?id=4137
🎓 Edith Cowan University
ECU has put in place a $2 million Student Support Package for the struggling students due to COVID-19 which includes:
- Access to ECU Support Grants of up to $2,000T
- Hardship Payment Scheme for payment plan for the semester 1 tuition fee
- Grocery Grants with a $50 grocery e-vouchers
- No parking fees
- IT assistance for online learning at home.
- No late payment fees for semester one, 2020
- Reduction in SSAF (Student Services and Amenities Fee) payment
More details are here: https://www.ecu.edu.au/covid-19/information-for-students#supportForStudents
🎓 Murdoch University
Students studying at Murdoch University will have access to a $2 million Student Assistance Fund for student’s ineligible for Commonwealth Government support which includes:
- University support for the Guild Food Bank.
- An Essentials Bursary worth $25 per week to reduce food costs for international students.
- Online learning support, including a Technology Bursary for all students and access to a limited supply of laptops.
More information is here: https://www.murdoch.edu.au/pages/covid-19-advice
🎓 University of Notre Dame Australia
University has set up a fund, COVID-19 Student Hardship Assistance Fund for the needy students during the global pandemic. Student in need can apply and get an emergency grant to up to $1000.
Check this link for further details: https://www.notredame.edu.au/current-students/support/hardship-assistance
🎓 University of Western Australia
UWA has developed the COVID-19 Financial Hardship Grant for the students during the COVID-19. Further details on the grant are available to the current students using login from this page:
New South Wales
🎓 Charles Sturt University
COVID-19 Student Support Grant has been set up by the Charles Sturt University for the students to the maximum amount of $500.
🎓 Macquarie University
MQ Student Success Support package has been launched by Macquarie University which includes:
- Options to delay payment or borrow back some of your fees for the current session (including SSAF)
- Emergency support vouchers of up to $250 for urgent essentials
- Grants and interest free loans of $2000
- More flexible payment plans
More details are: https://www.mq.edu.au/about/coronavirus-faqs/information-for-students
🎓 University of New South Wales
Financial Support Package is available to the students studying at UNSW which includes:
- Emergency Support Payments – $500
- Emergency E-Vouchers – $200
- Emergency Grants – up to $2000
- Interest Free Loans (streamlining and expansion of existing scheme)
Details can be found here: https://www.covid-19.unsw.edu.au/information-students#fin
🎓 University of Newcastle
University of Newcastle has set up a COVID-19 Student Hardship Fund valued at $1 million. This fund will help students from funding meals, helping pay bills, to assisting with accommodation for those in great need.
The Student Hardship Fund supports students facing hardship through $500 hardship grants and $750 laptop grants.
More details are: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/covid-19/information-for-students
🎓 The University of Sydney
The University of Sydney has a financial assistance available for the students including bursaries, interest free loans, hardship funding support and a tuition fee rebate of up to $4,000.
Find out more details here: https://www.sydney.edu.au/study/coronavirus-infection-university-of-sydney-advice/support.html
🎓 University of Wollongong
COVID-19 Financial Assistance Grant Scheme has been launched by University of Wollongong. International Students can apply for this grant from 8th April 2020 which can cover living expenses up to $1,500 and technological support for online studies.
Details on how to apply are here: https://www.uow.edu.au/student/hardship-support/
🎓 Bond University
Bond University has decided to provide financial aid in the form of a one-off 20% reduction in tuition fees for the May Semester 202.
Details about this change is available here: https://bond.edu.au/novel-coronavirus/students
🎓 Griffith University
Griffith University has committed $2m to the COVID-19 Student Support Bursary which is available to both undergraduate and postgraduate students experiencing severe financial disadvantage that is impacting their ability to study online.
For more details check this page: https://www.griffith.edu.au/coronavirus/information-for-students
🎓 Queensland University of Technology
The Emergency Student Fund has been set up by the QUT that provides $1,000 to eligible students experiencing financial hardship. Details are here: https://www.qut.edu.au/additional/coronavirus
🎓 University of Southern Queensland
USQ has announced the COVID-19 Student Support Package on 8th April which includes
- Living expenses support –a one off payment of $500 or a support payment of up to $3000 for eligible students.
- Technology packs – a single payment of up to $1000 or the provision of a personal computer to eligible students.
- Learning resource support – a single payment of up to $500 for textbooks or relevant learning resources to eligible students.
Details here: https://www.usq.edu.au/coronavirus
Other Government Support Packages
On 4th April 2020, Australian Government has announced that any student who has been in Australia for more than 12 months and have been severely impacted by the COVID-19 can access their superannuation. Read more about the announcement here.
🏛 South Australia
South Australian Government has committed $13.8 million support package for international students studying in South Australia. This will include:
- Matching funding to alleviate student hardship as a result of COVID-19 with all 3 public universities in South Australia .
- A $500 emergency cash grant to other international students not studying at one of the public universities, currently enrolled in a course, living in Adelaide and who meet the criteria.
- For school students living with South Australian families, a one-off $200 COVID-19 assistance payment per student will be provided to homestay families, to help support accommodation for school students.
You can register your interest for this support package by clicking the link here.
🏛 Northern Territory
Northern Territory has launched a $20 million fund for keeping the businesses open and jobs alive. This package include people who are not covered under any Job Keeper payments like visa holder workers.
The more details on this news is available here.
Victorian government has launched the Working for Victoria program with $500 million fund which help job seekers in Victoria to find a job. International students are eligible to apply for this program. Overseas students register their interest for work here.
Victorian government has announced an International Students Emergency Relief Fund studying in Victoria who are facing a hardship in COVID-19 crisis. Eligible students can get a one-off payments for up to $1,100 by applying through Study Melbourne website here.
On 22nd April, the Tasmanian government announced $3 million package to support temporary visa holders including international students who are suffering a severe impact due to Coronavirus.
Affected individuals can get $250, while families can get eligible to get up to $1,000. Additional emergency relief and assistance will be provided to the effected temporary visa holders apart from the one-off payment. For support in Tasmania check this website.
🏛 Australian Capital Territory
ACT government has announced a support package for both temporary visa holders and international students. Eligible students who have been facing financial hardship will be able to get help from the Red Cross through the funding provided by ACT government. More details are here.
🏛 Western Australia
Study Perth has announced a Study Perth Crisis Relief Program that supports both individual students study in Western Australia and organisations and associations that supports students with food, accommodation, rights and support and health issues. You can apply for this program through Study Perth website here.
International students studying in Queensland and facing hardship during the pandemic can access support from Study Queensland’s Student Hub. You can access support from here.
🏛 New South Wales
International Student Welfare Services Hub has been established by the Study NSW to provide support to international students. More details can be found here.
NSW Government has also launched a $20 million housing fund for international students providing temporary housing scheme and student support services. Check more details here.
Other Support Packages
If you are struggling for the food and other needs, then you can reach to various organisations across Australia.
- Ask Izzy – Whether you want food, housing, clothes or anything else, you can Ask it Easy at
- Food Bank Australia – Food Banks Australia is the largest food relief organisation. Check them here:
- Salvation Army: Salvos are known for helping the communities in need for the food and various other needs.
- Khalsa Aid Australia – They are delivering grocery kits to your door:
- Find a bed: Find a bed is a great initiative by volunteers to connect people who need a place to sleep to people who are willing to help.
- Salvation Army: If you are in crisis, Salvation Army can help you find a accommodation.
- Australian Red Cross : Australian Red Cross helps people in Australia to find a house in difficult times like this.
- Australian Homestay Network: They offer very affordable accommodation options during the COVID-19 crisis. To help international students, they have also launched ISSN program
🧠 Mental Health
- myCompass myCompass is personalised tool for your self-help for your mental health support. It can also help in dealing with the pressures of study.
- Youth Beyond Blue Information, online and phone counselling for young people 12 to 25 years old, who can contact trained mental health professionals 7 days24 hours.
- Lifeline Australia Lifeline is a crisis support service that provides short-term support at any time for people who are having difficulty coping or staying safe. Call 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline Kids Helpline is a free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged 5 to 25 years. 1800 55 1800
- Headspace A free service that supports young people aged between 12 and 25 and their families going through a tough time.
- ReachOut ReachOut provides practical tools and support to help young people aged 14–25 years get through everything from everyday issues to tough times.
This post will be regularly updated as soon as we get information on any new support package for the international students.