Health and Wellbeing

As most of the overseas students study for a long period of time in Australia, it is very important as an overseas student to know how the healthcare system works in Australia.

Student visa holders are usually not eligible for publicly funded healthcare, Medicare in Australia, except for the students from United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium, Slovenia, Italy, and New Zealand

OSHC (Overseas Students Health Cover)

One of the key requirements of your student visa is to obtain Overseas Students Health Cover before you come to Australia for your studies. It helps you to meet the costs of medical and hospital care during your studies. It also covers the benefits for some pharmaceuticals and ambulance expenses. There are only 5 providers of this insurance.

  • NIB
  • AHM
  • Medibank
  • Allianz
  • Bupa

When you feel sick

We all have those times when we get sick and would like to see a medical professional. In these times, it is recommended to visit your local medical centre first and ask for an appointment with a GP (General Practitioner). This is usually less expensive option and you can claim part of medical visit bill from your health insurance (OSHC). Consultation fees generally range between $40 and $100

When you visit GP, they will guide you through the next steps, if they consider it necessary then they will refer you to a hospital, if they feel otherwise then they would recommend you to take medicine and stay home.

Going to the hospital

In the event of an emergency or life threatening situation, you can ring 000 and call an ambulance for bringing you to a hospital. It is advisable to find out the nearest public hospital and confirm with your OSHC provider on how much hospital expenses will be covered before this kind of event occurs. Public hospitals can charge you a fee for visiting and getting a treatment.

Stay Healthy

  • Drinks lots of Water to avoid dehydration
  • Eat healthy and balanced diet
  • Learn how to cook food and try to cook your meals at home
  • Drink Alcohol in limit